- Published: 13 April 2021
- Hits: 343
Fires are only to be burned in approved fire pits, approved incinerators or approved burning barrels as per County Bylaw 648-16.
Burn Barrel - means an outdoor receptacle that meets the following specifications:
- a minimum of 3 (three) meters clearance measured from the nearest edge of the Burn Barrel to a building, property lines, or other combustible material;
- equipped with an expanded metal spark arrestor mesh screen with openings no larger than 16mm (0.6 inches), secured in place with latches or weights;
- constructed of non-combustible material;
- not located over underground utility services or under aboveground wires;
- is supervised at all times by a responsible person until such time that the fire in the Burn Barrel has been extinguished. A fire shall be deemed to include hot ashes and smoldering embers resulting from the fire; and
- is used to burn non-prohibited debris.
Fire Pit - means a non-combustible structure or container located on public or private property, used for recreation purposes and constructed in accordance with this By-law.
- a fire pit shall be constructed with non-combustible materials,
- the maximum external dimension of the Fire Pit shall not be greater than one meter,
- a fire pit shall be covered by a substantial screen or grate with openings not to exceed 16mm (0.6 inches) in any dimension,
- a fire pit shall not be located closer than 3 meters (10 feet) from a property line and two meters from any combustible material, including, but not limited to buildings, structures, fences, patio decks and foliage as measured from the nearest fire pit
- a fire pit shall not be located less than 6 meters (2 feet) laterally from an underground utility line.
Incinerator Fire - means a fire that is confined within a non-combustible container or barrel with opening; covered with a heavy gauge metal screen having a mesh size not larger than 13 millimeters and which is ventilated in such a manner as to preclude the escape of combustible materials, including ash.