- Published: 30 October 2013
- Hits: 8420
To accomplish this, the roadside can be divided into 4 different areas.
- Road Edge – vegetation free zone to facilitate maintenance, drainage, visibility, and weeds transported by vehicles and machinery.
- Road Slope & Bottom– keep free of brush and perennial weeds. Important for line of sight to intersections and wildlife, and invasive weed control. For those residents who hay the ditches it is important to control weeds to prevent their spread.
- Back Slope – control problem perennial weeds to prevent spreading into adjacent land and larger trees.
- Fence Lines – lower maintenance required unless vegetation is creating problems.
Herbicides are our most effective method of controlling plant growth. Herbicide selection is based on plant type, environment, and effectiveness. Method of control is spot spraying as well as some blanket spraying with the use of chemical injection equipment on our spray trucks.
- Herbicide selection allows for a very broad spectrum of control as well as having the benefit of a longer residual property
- Because we operate on a 3-year rotation it is important that we use a herbicide that has some residual properties, which reduces the chemical load on the soil and the amount of manpower and equipment required to remove unwanted vegetation
- Other herbicides are used as well based on efficacy, cost, and environment
Rotary mowers are the preferred method of cutting as they are less of a fire hazard and able to keep the grass more in the ditch compared to the disc bine. ASB staff mark the rocks with a GPS as they go, and they are picked up the following May. Please avoid piling rocks or any other objects in the ditch as they are sometimes not visible. ASB would also ask that any gates that you would like to leave open please have leaning up against the fence.
Mowing begins in the middle of July and staff are directed to mow the pavement first. The County tries to keep the mowers together in one division and rotates around the roadside spraying program. All regularly maintained roads are mowed annually and the backroads of the Divisions that were just sprayed. The backroads are mowed in the same rotation as the spraying (1/3rd each year).