2017 Municipal Election



Spring is here and the cleanup begins for our yards and fields. Some items can be burned or thrown into a garbage pit at home.

There is one thing, however, that cannot be burnt or buried on your property and that is plastics. This includes silage covers, bags, wraps and film. These are made of polyethylene resin. Bale twine and cordage are also prohibited from burning or burying and are made of polypropylene resin.

“Disposal of agricultural plastic on farm either by burning or burying produces hazardous consequences to human and animal health, water and land resources and the environment.” It is illegal to burn prohibited debris(PLASTICS) under the Substance Release Regulation and the Environmental Protection Act. Burning these plastics releases toxic chemicals into the air and soil, if buried and will accumulate toxin over time.

So what do you do with these plastics. The silage covers, bags, etc can be rolled and dropped off at  any one of the three transfer stations in the County of Paintearth. They are at Halkirk(NE-24-38-16-W4), Castor(SW-3-38-14-W4) and Coronation(SW-36-36-11-W4).  This also pertains to the twine, cordage and plastic jugs. There are landowners who are already doing this so I encourage you to do the same.

If you any questions in regards to the Acts please call 1-800-222-6514. They will be able to answer any questions you might have.

Remember the consequences will out weight any burning. You and your families health is the most important asset, protect it.

Colm Fitz-Gerald
Community Peace Officer
County of Paintearth No. 18

403-882-3211 ext. 224
403-740-2997 (cell)